View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #32
SonOfTheFonz
ninjette.org member

Name: Fonzy

Motorcycle(s): Janky Ninja 250 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
As a college student I don't understand how you rack up 100+ grand in student loan debt.
I did my first year at a community college getting a gpa that allowed me to transfer to a 4 year university (I jumped the gun by a year which cost me some money but whatever) and I work full time while attending university, with my current situation I am paying ~2.5 grand per semester + another 500 for books so 6g/year. On top of that I commute from my parents home. Everything is paid for by my work hours with occasional help from my folks when I run into unexpected expenses. I'm even considering going into law school after I graduate and after graduating law school I still wouldn't be in severe student loan debt due to the fact that I work.

That said, 500k doesn't last that long in the grand scheme of things. It'll get you a nice house or help you start up a business, that's about it. I'd rather work my way up and end up with a garage filled with bikes and a few nice cars.
It sounds like you understand completely how one could rack up 100k. But you did EVERYTHING possible not to. Im doing all 4yrs out of state and my family isnt in a position to help at all. Student loans for everything.

With 500k id put myself on a 40k a year budget/salary and survive for 12.5 years. Within that time ill figure out a better long term plan. (stocks, real estate, small business)
SonOfTheFonz is offline   Reply With Quote