View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2021, 02:11 PM   #31
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Very true the raw horse power by those engines is nothing short of miraculous !
back in the day 75 to 80HP was the max you could hope for, then all of a sudden they hit the market with 102 hp and 120 hp it was like a night and day difference.... that is what actually saved most of the small shops because a person couldn't afford to go to Yamaha or suzuki shop to get a "tune up"
they were so extremely expensive... so people looked for smaller motorcycle shops and that is the only thing that saved the small shop in that time.
I wasn't one of them I folded up shop , never paid the $20,000.00 it took to adjust the valves and took my pail and shovel and went home sulking ! LOL
but a few shops that I knew did and they survived. they said it opened up a
larger door for revenue than they had previously had.
I didn't have the money to do it, even if I had wanted to the volume that went through my shop was 3 or 4 bikes a week and that's just enough to keep the doors open... I learned something though if your going to do it you gott'a do it big and get the word out... play for the masses ! but this guy gave up too early.... don't make my mistake !
the Shim innovation really did change the market and the addition of little tweeks along the way produced some of the most powerful motorcycles ever seen .... but forgotten along the way was sirvice-ability... ease of access
and owner fixable..... things you were never told about and expected to get
but found you didn't get it.... times change and we must change with them or be left behind.... LOL
Bob.....