View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
grip the tank with your knees, this is your anchor to the bike. Use as little pressure on the bars as possible, at times you may need to remind yourself to do this but long term it'll become natural as you become more comfortable. Try not to ride in too much traffic or during a time where people are willing to kill you to get to work 10 seconds faster. My daily highway commute is like that and it's awful to the point where I've just given up on staying in one place for too long unless there's a sizeable gap between me and the rest of traffic. Learn to lanesplit (controversial in the US, a lot of people will disagree, including johnny law) once you're comfortable riding around on highway. Being rear ended is out of your control if you sit still and follow the flow of traffic, if you exist in your own free bubble splitting lanes everything is more in your control and you can better avoid accidents (assuming that you know what you're doing)

There are 3 things to look for when lanesplitting, or in general really. Turn signals, which are rarely used. The driver's head, most will at least look into the lane where they're going and this is noticeable. Finally, the front wheels of each vehicle dictate where the car is going and is the first sign of a car actually moving into another lane. In stopped traffic where one lane is moving ALWAYS check the front tires of the vehicles in the stationary lane as you pass them as they may perceive you as a gap in traffic and cut out into you "suddenly and without warning"

The safest speed is slightly faster than everyone else, key word slightly. The reason for this is if you stay in the same place next to a car they'll easily forget that you're there and just move over. This is especially a problem if you're in their blind spot, don't stay in someone's blind spot. If you go slower than the flow of traffic you're asking to be rear ended. Therefore the safest speed is slightly faster than the flow of traffic. This argument actually held up with an officer one time though he still gave me a warning for my filtering, probably because he rides.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.