View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #20
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I'm not sure how everyone else feels about this, but hearing while riding is very important to me. So I don't use any kind of earplugs or music. I tried earplugs one time but they were so disorienting that I had to pull over less than a mile away and pull them out.

When I had them in, I had a hard time starting the engine even. Then there is the inability to hear traffic. In a perfect world with a perfect bike, I would be able to see with my mirrors all around me and know where all the cars are at, but in reality I can't really see anything except my elbows in my mirrors unless I twist and look around them. That's why I rely on sound to be able to tell when cars are too close behind me.

Electronic earplugs might be a good solution if they exist. They are available for gun ranges, but I don't think those would work on motorcycles.

Then there is music. I tried bluetooth speakers in the helmet. Worked great, but it was so distracting that I was riding like a drunken cager. So the music got turned off.