View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Tefal
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r Go 2012

Project/rat bike 1st problem seized rear shock

So I got a 2012 ninja 250r (uk so fi model) last summer as a tempory bike after my superblackbird got written off in a crash
It was weird goin to such a small bike (never had anything below a 600) but at the same time it has been great fun having such an agile thing.

It was in a pretty bad state when I got it from a young lad in work, Chinese fairings (bad ones) dented tank and had been sat for a while so bit neglected.

After nearly 6 thousand miles of horrific abuse through winter including dropping it in the snow (these things are hilarious in the snow) which cracked the fairing and foot peg stay but it kept going and I got those sorted.

It's had a problem with the 32/62 fi error code on the subthrottle replaced that with one from a breaking bike (had to get it from Italy there's pretty much no second hand parts market for the 250 in the uk it seems) when I fitted it I removed the valve plates and cam as when the old one failed it held the bike at 6k rpm (an interesting experience lol).

If it ever fails again I'll just sit up a defeat for the fi light and remove the whole lot.

But the main problem now is its mot has expired but the rear shock is totally seized, it's effectivly a hard tall, but the poor thing did struggle on despite that for a long time.

Now sense says just scrap the bike especially as I'll be getting my new H2sx tourer in the next few weeks, but I've grown attached to this scrappy little bike and it will compliment the tourer and also be good for winter when I dont want a heavy and brand new bike in the uk weather.

Ridden this little beauty 200 miles across the country in a hurricane last year and a few times in horrible winter weather to see my gf, unpleasant especialy with the rear shock but it made it.

So I've decided that if it can be kept running for minimal cost then it gets to live I kinda owe it that.

I'm pretty good with my hands (aircraft electrician by trade) but have very limited space and tooling at home.

As I said second hand or aftermarket parts for ninja 250s are very hard to come by in the uk so I'm thinking the shock is going to need to be replaced with something else.

I've got a paddock stand for the swing arm but not sure if there's a good way to Jack the bike up to get the shock out without damaging anything (wood under the engine a safe bet?)

Also any recommendations on what to replace the shock with ideally minimal extra work, I weigh about 13 an a half stone so a fair bit heavier than the stock shock was intended for anyway. (Abour 190lb).

I'll get some pics up later in the week as I'm away from home atm.

I gave the bike its first wash since 2012 yesterday lol and sprayed some acf50 on everything that will need to come off so that should help with the corroded fasteners.

Thanks for any advice guys I can certainly see why you love these stubborn little bikes
Tefal is offline   Reply With Quote