View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2019, 06:36 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So... thoughts here:

I recently did some DIY on my house and hauled a trencher in the back of my mid-size truck. It was about 400 lbs and I had it at the back of my bed (similar in effect on the truck to how a motorcycle on a carrier like this would behave), directly up against the tail gate. And... a well loaded light trailer rides better, IME.

The other thing to remember is that payload vs towing capacities are different things. A 400 lb motorcycle with a 100(?) lb carrier is 500 lbs payload. Compare that with 10-15% of a 1000 lb trailer and 400 lb motorcycle is 1400 lbs towing, but only 140-210 lbs payload. The payload capacity for a 2019 Tacoma is 1120-1620 lbs according to google, so if you're also planning on a bed full of gear and/or more passengers than just yourself, that can be a significant difference for your decision of trailer vs hitch mounted carrier.
(I know for the Colorado, 150 lb is already assumed for the driver in the sped'd payload capacity, I'm not sure with the Tacoma but this is worth looking into)

Personally... I'd go the trailer route unless trailer storage is a significant issue for you when you're not using it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote