View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #180
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nathaniel

Motorcycle(s): Past: 2007 250 Ninja 2005 XR650R 2003 KLX400R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
do what you want... it's your ears. just be aware that people who didn't use earplugs years ago in industrial environments are the ones, today, with hearing problems.

Hearing loss is something that gradually happens. By the time you realize your affected, it's too late. Riding without earplugs during sustained riding WILL affect your hearing.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you. My post was to warn riders who really weren't aware of hearing loss due to riding w/o earplugs that their hearing is being affected.
Oh no, I'm not arguing that fact, I know it will eventually happen if I don't quit my habit. I like that you said facts about hearing loss and all of that kind of stuff. I like it when people do these things. I just won't be working in a machine shop my whole life. I should be done machining by the time I'm 24 or so. And I've heard the old: "industrial workers...hearing...bad...wear earplugs............." a thousand times by everyone and their moms. I actually do the stuff and run the machines, I know what will eventually happen and so does everyone else in the shop, but I simply will not wear them at work. Should I wear ear plugs at work? Probably. Do I? No, and it's my decision and I hope that other's will make the right choice and wear ear plugs riding motorcycles, working in machine shops, wherever.
Hearing WILL go away if people don't take care of their ears, and everyone should protect their ears. I have ear plugs or muffs when I shoot guns. I just don't while riding because my helmet is pretty quiet as is, but for long trips I'll slap some on if the wind is too annoying. But if I had some that weren't so baffling, I'd wear them more often.

I didn't/don't mean to cause a disagreement or anything (If one occurred), I was explaining some reasons I don't normally wear ear plugs. I didn't explain myself well enough. I saw "ear plugs... why or why not?" (or something along those lines) in the initial post. So, I should have said: "I don't wear ear plugs. This is why I don't wear ear plugs when I ride." before anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Have you tried ER-20's? They're balanced so that everything is just quieter but not muffled. They also dont have a very high db rating. 12db approximately I believe.
Where do you get those?

I hate the ones I occasionally use because they're 27db rated, and that's way too quiet for me.
(I'm open to trying these out since 12 db ain't too much.)