View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:14 AM   #1074
garix
ninjette.org newbie

Name: g

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

I just did this mod and guess how many times I had to open up my carbs?

5 times due to my ignorance and impatience. Read ahead to learn from my downfalls and it should save you some time/troubleshoot if you run into same problems I did.

First of all, GET THIS TOOL!!!
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ver-92630.html

First time I did it, none of my screwdrivers or wrenches would fit into the back screws so I ghetto rigged a phillips to a socket to another one to a metal spoon handle (Yes you read that right). It worked fine but was a pain in the ass to find what out what fit and what didn't fit due to the frame being in the way. I then added two #4 washers because I have a two bros exhaust, fired her up and the engine would die instantly.

Second time I took off the carb caps was to revert back to stock. Nope, same problem.

Now I know I definitely hooked up something wrong so I looked at the carb diagram pics and found out I hooked up one of the hoses into the carb vent hose, silly me...

Third time's the charm right? So I rehooked the hoses correctly and added two washers again, fired her up and she was great! I took her for a ride down the street and BAM, nothing above 6k rpm. I was WOT and the rpm would stay at 6k so something was definitely wrong.

I thought my bike was running too rich so I reverted back to stock ONCE AGAIN. Did that fix it? NOPE...

I googled around and found out that this occurs when there is no vacuum (air leak) in one of the carbs. I started to worry thinking that I had ripped one of the rubber diaphragms then I realized I screwed on the choke cable holder in between the carb plate and the carb. So finally I put everything back together and now she runs PERFECTLY with two washers with a two bros exhaust and the snorkel delete!!

I was very impatient and rushed so I wasn't paying attention on where everything went and didn't have the right tools.

tl:dr: Get that right angle screwdriver before attempting this, have the diagrams/pictures out of what hose goes where and what screws go where as many people have connected them wrong. It'll save you hours of troubleshooting!
garix is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.