Old October 14th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm liking it, personally.

My track bike is a well-sorted 06 R6 and it's fantastic.

Having said that, it's fantastic on the track. On the street I'm not so sure. This thing is defenitely in the "sharp weapon" category.

It's like the Ninjette in that when you get it singing, it's really sweet. Thing is, you can't really get there on the street.

This new one appears to be a nice evolution of a terrific platform. Yamaha really got it right years ago, and have had the good sense to not futz with the bike. Looks like they've done a decent update without trying to reinvent it. That's a good thing.

Really like that they just lifted the suspension from the R1 and retuned it for the smaller, lighter bike. No dumbing down.

Seat is still very high (850mm = 33.5"), but supposedly they've narrowed it at the front, which should help when putting your foot down on the odd patch of gravel or broken pavement.

Ergos are likely to be as they had been, i.e., Japanese sportbike-standard. My bike feels quite compact overall and there's no reason to believe this will be any different.

Electronics bring this into line with current industry standard, but it's interesting to note that they don't mention an IMU... which is what makes the literbike rider aids really trick (e.g., lean-angle sensitive TC, wheelie control, etc.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote