View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

Pregen 250 then, MSTR now.

5 years ago I started on a beat up pregen 250 (hussy), largely because of the community and resources. I put 14k miles on her over 17 months then upgraded to a Ninja 300 (Ivy) and sold Hussy.

Ivy got totaled in a parking lot by a cager going 30+ mph around a blind corner who t-boned me. I had Ivy for 7 months and 8k miles.

I then upgraded to a CB500X and put 48k in 39 months, including a trip up to Coldfoot Alaska with a buddy. But she was a bit under powered for the trips I wanted to do, lots of middle-of-nowhere with 80mph speed limits weren't very comfortable or fuel efficient. I then sought out an upgrade, and planned on selling her to a friend so she didn't have to tour on her newgen 250.

I was looking at an F800GT, Tiger 800 XR, FJ-09, or an FJ-07 if it made it to the US. Now a bit of dead-giveaway backstory, a buddy showed me a promo video for a Motus MST back in 2011 and said it was "totally a Joel bike." And he was right. It hits all of my wishlist items, except for the $35k base MSRP tag.

So, after talking with my wife about options and tentative plan about getting an F800GT now and then a few years later getting an MSTR she quickly shot that down. She said, "It makes no sense to get a middleman bike, just get the one you want now"... so I did.

I picked up a new Motus MSTR (Kara) from their factory in Alabama and did a 7400 mile trip home in 11 days. Alabama to New Orleans to Key West to North Carolina to Massachusetts to Buffalo to home (Washington). Then a month later did a leisurely 3900 miles in 11 days down through Vegas, Arizona, and through Idaho.

I've had Kara for 2 months, and have 14k miles, with another 4k planned in August.

Thanks for such a great community and helping me get into this wonderful way of life. I have a total of 85k miles of seat time in 5.5 years.

I'm also (still...) working (slowly...) on a ZX600C restore. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...86#post1183286
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote