View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2021, 09:41 PM   #11
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Name: Clark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
OK - from what you are telling us it's running significantly rich.

You don't need 40 Pilot Jets, but you may be able to use them if you can turn the Idle Mixture Screws in enough to get the proper mixture. You may be around 1 to 1.5 turns out with the larger Pilot Jets.

117.5 Main Jet is way rich. We ran pods and a leaky stock exhaust with 108s I believe - and it pulled strong all the way. Not a big fan of carb kits with larger everything.

Not sure who suggested cutting springs and slides, but that's not a typical carb mod from what I've seen.

As you can see, changing a bunch of stuff based on someone's suggestions can create all sorts of problems and most of the time doesn't really gain you any usable power.

A properly tuned 250 with the stock airbox will give you nice crisp low and mid-range performance. Opening things up usually flattens that out, and sometimes doesn't gain anything anywhere.

Proper carb tuning is critical. They are pretty close as is, but require precise adjustment of the idle mixture and maybe a shim or 2 on the needles to run much better. The Main Jets are usually overly rich, and more power can be gained by replacing them with the optimum size depending on other factors.

Final step is to make sure the carbs are synced properly.
Funny enough, the kit I got recommended cutting the spring, and so did my friend. The kit included a 112.5 number main jet, so I'll at least size down and see what happens. I have a tiny shim on the needles already, I'd estimate 2mm or less if I remember correctly. I'll try removing it, too. It's odd how well the bike seems to run above 6k RPM, even when hot outside. It's just below 6k RPM. When do the mains seem to kick on?