View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2021, 06:56 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by clakmurrick View Post
Funny enough, the kit I got recommended cutting the spring, and so did my friend. The kit included a 112.5 number main jet, so I'll at least size down and see what happens. I have a tiny shim on the needles already, I'd estimate 2mm or less if I remember correctly. I'll try removing it, too. It's odd how well the bike seems to run above 6k RPM, even when hot outside. It's just below 6k RPM. When do the mains seem to kick on?
What kit was it? 112.5 is still to large IMO.

Honestly, as I've said, I don't care for any of the kits.

With all the changes it's hard to pinpoint which is causing the most problems, but going back to stock jets (stock mains are plenty big) and other modified parts would go a long ways to getting it running properly.

Do you know what the idle mixture screws are set at? That would be the first/simple thing to try to get it running better.

The Main Jet affects mixture as soon as you lift the slides and the needles pull out of the jet - so almost all the time except when the throttle is completely closed.

When making carb adjustments, think in terms of throttle position - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc.

Having ridden a 250 with pods, I would get an original airbox and bring the carbs back to stock - with maybe just a small shim on the needles. The airbox makes it much more pleasant to ride normally.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote