Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe305 View Post
..............I brake hard to avoid hitting him locking up my brakes losing control and falling. I hit the ground on my left side and my bike continues to slide about 80 to 100 feet. I broke my left ankle in 3 places, sprained right wrist, and some mild road rash that went thru my gloves, pants, and leather jacket....................However what I don't get is when I hit the ground my head and shoulders never touched it, my left ankle took all the impact and I slid to a stop. If I grabbed to much front brake the bike would of swept under me and I should of hurt of arms and shoulders.
Yes, sorry, Mitchell; I confused your lesion with someone's else.
Please, disregard the previous lecture about the collar bone.

You are correct, in your case, it looks like the rear tire went into a skid, then the rear tried to catch up with the front swinging CCW and the left side of the bike trapped your left ankle against the road.

Your ankle probably got liberated before the bike slid those 80~100 feet and you rolled and slid on your own, damaging other body parts.

Regardless of the reason that initiate it, there are two types of low-side falls:
Due to front tire tucking (described in previous post): Note the pure lateral fall of the rider's body (hence the typical Clavicle damage:

And due to rear tire skid: Note the more mushy fall of the rider's body, with his but still connected to and following the seat that moves down and away from him, while his ankle becomes sandwiched by the bike and road:

A backpack tends to protect the upper back, shoulder and head in this type of fall.
Did you wear one that night?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote