nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Key things to remember as you practice getting better at U-turns:

1) Before you turn the bars, you should already be looking all the way to the exit of your turn. Yes, this means turn your head so that you are looking backward briefly. Crazy, I know, but works like a CHARM! ***MOST important!
2) Stay loose, not tense. ***2nd most important! Loose on the bars is the best strategy in nearly any case. U-turns are no exception. Tensing up causes you to fight the bike, especially if you're nervous. Just let the bike do it's thing and keep your upper body loose.
3) If you need to slow down, use only the rear brake. It will help you stand up if you feel the bike is about to tip (that is, as long as you don't apply the rear brake to its stopping point).
4) Counterweight by shifting your body weight to the outside peg.

Look at U-turns as a fun challenge. Get out in an empty parking lot and practice. When you get it down, they're actually pretty fun. Then you can start practicing figure-8s!
Another tip I would add is throttle control. You have to know the appropriate times when to throttle on and when to throttle off.

On my bicycle, which is different, but just an example, you need to know when to pedal, and when not to. I've never dropped my bike in a u-turn, but have come close.