Thread: So.much.gravel
View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:40 AM   #1
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

So.much.gravel

Well it finally happened. I was on my way to work this morning and realizing it had rained very hard the previous night I was being extra cautious until I came upon a bend with so much gravel washed onto it I mistook it for some ones driveway and I low sided at about 20mph maybe 30mph. My bike was unfortunate enough to meet with a large rock in the front yard I went into and flipped several times into the air before landing in a ditch that had to have been about 7ft deep.

I didn't grab to much brake or swerve excessively but if I had kept my set course to avoid turning at all on the gravel I would have ended up in the woods somewhere as the turn became increasingly sharp where the washout was.

My bike is toast. This was at 5:20am so I couldn't asses all the damage properly but initial findings are my controls on the throttle side are toast along with the front brake lever which was missing (literally just installed cnc shorty levers last night ) and the handlebar itself being bent like a pretzel. My rear brake level is bent 90 degrees along with most of my plastics and fuel tank being broken and dented respectively. There is plenty of other damage I'm sure but I wont know till I get pictures in the daylight.

Now for the bright side!! I was GEARED up!! helmet, gloves, boots, jeans with workpants underneath, and jacket, ATGATT ftw. All I received was a very small scrape on my knee that is maybe the size of a silver dollar and that's it! Also, the bike still had the clutch lever, the shifter wasn't bent/broken/ mangled in any visible way and the bike would still shift gears and the lever pull the clutch in. all the dash lights stayed on and the headlight was still on after the crash. Should the bike be totaled (I feel that's how they will call it) I should be able to salvage at least the engine, carbs, wheels, brakes, etc, etc and part her out.

Ripping into her for parts and such is about all I have left to look forward to in our relationship together. I only had her for 8 months, she didn't even have 10k miles and we always had a blast together! ahhh im so sad and going to miss her. I haven't really decided if I will get a 250 again or a larger bike but for now I'm done for the season as my finances do not allow for frivolous spending on a new-ish bike and parts to indulge my excessive hobby.

Last paragraph I promise, thanks for reading this far lol. I am in PA and was wondering what the adjuster will say about my bike not being inspected since 2012... I was just about to put some tires, brakes, etc on her and get her inspected, now I don't need to... Will they say they aren't obligated to pay me due to my bike not being inspected? (never had to deal an out of inspection vehicle involved in an accident before)
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote