Thread: Chain Slack
View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
So I've been thinking about this a lot because I ran in to a related issue...

If the axle nut has been tightened/torqued, doesn't it compress the swingarm assembly at the rear axle thus fixing the position of the chain adjusters? So there won't be any forward/backward movement along the swingarm and the chain should be at the same slack when tightening the axle in place (sans stretching). Am I wrong in thinking this way?
Not sure if I'm interpreting your question correctly, but are you talking about how the chain slack seems to change when torquing down the rear axle?

When we adjust the chain slack, the rear axle is loose, allowing the swingarm to bow out to its natural position like a "Y" (this is an exaggeration). When we set the slack in this position, the rear axle and its slots are physically closer to the front sprocket by millimeters. Most people set the desired slack at this point, but when they go to torque the rear axle, it bends the prongs of the "Y" into the shape of a tuning fork, and now the rear axle is pushed away from the front sprocket by those few millimeters, thus giving them tighter slack than they just set.
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote