Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #11
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are right in thinking this way.
The chain adjusters are there to fix the ideal position of the axle, reason for which, we should put forward pressure on the rear wheel as we torque the axle's nut as specified.

If the torque is insufficient, then there is not enough friction against the swingarm and the axle slides under the command of the pulling force of the chain: the right end of the axle tends to move aft, making the sprocket crooked respect to the chain and the tire to rub against parts on the right side.
Thanks for reassuring my thoughts. My problem is slightly different from OPs. I can see why in his problem, with a bending/broken cap, the slack won't be sufficient thus a replacement cap would be needed.
In my problem, I've already set the slack and tightened the axle; however, I realized the other day my right cap is missing. Upon research I learned I've been missing a nut on both caps; they've only always had one. I ordered replacement parts but wanted to make sure it was safe to continue riding until they came in.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote