View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:18 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by venmichaels View Post
im about to change my oil... Is there a definite way to spot gas in the oil that i drain out besides just smelling it??
In your other post, you stated that you did not use the clutch on start up, correct? So I'm assuming that start ups were a little slow and sluggish, engine idle slow, compression low and engine temp low....I'm i right so far?
to compensate you probably twist the throttle to bring the engine speed up until it is warm enough to idle properly by itself. I think most people here would think you have a typical flooding problem.

Basically you are putting too much gas into a cold engine and it is not all being burnt, but that is a small amount. I'm willing to bet that if you change your starting procedure, ride the bike normally, let the bike cool all the way down then recheck the oil to see if it smells like gas, it will probably smell more like used oil should. If the mechanic that looked at you bike did not notice a strong overwhelming odor of gas at the time he looked at, he probably could not smell it. When gas fumes are overwhelming enough to make you lightheaded it is usually very fresh, meaning like just poured. If that was the case I'm pretty sure anyone within 3-5 feet would smell you too and it would be visibly noticeable.

Here is a test you can do; once you drain the oil smell it then smell some fresh gas, put both aside. Don't put oil back in the bike right away, flush out as much old oil as possible and remove the filter as well, let it sit for a while to see if gas may possibly be leaking past your petcock, carb floats and into the crank case. Also remove the airfilter, clean the filter and dry out the airbox. If the carb is going to leak that much gas in to the crankcase it will leak just as much into the air box as well. Visible leakage will be noticeable and the smell of gas will be strong as well in both the airbox and any remaining residual oil in the crankcase. Note the amount oil oil that comes out of the crankcase. If you have more than 1.7 qts of you come out, it was too full, and if there is a large amount of fuel in the oil it will be very noticeable by smell.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote