View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2023, 11:08 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Getting the Ninja going again !

Ok I am trying to get my 2012 Ninja 250R running right again.....
I sent the carbs to Ducattiman and had him clean them real good and check them over.... he said they will be real good runners !
I got a bunch of things done to the bike in the interim term of Gordon working on the carbs, like adjusting the valves the exhaust valves were a tiny bit too tight so I got the shims and got them set correctly, I have double and tripple checked the valve timing and the cams are spot on.
but the bike will start and idle but it will not take throttle even when warm
the only way I can get it to gain RPM is to use the choke and that raises the RPM to around 3,000 RPM usually but as soon as I crack the throttle it just sucks air and dies.... if I play with it at the bottom edge of increasing the throttle I can usually get it to rev up past 6k RPM and then it runs great it will go to 9k RPM from there with no problem
but starting it and giving it throttle to raise the RPM makes it bog down
if I let up (shut off the throttle to idle) it will usually catch it's self and recover and continue to idle.... but trying to get it to rev up is near impossible.... it looks like when the choke is off that the flat spot is between idle and 6,000 to 7,000 RPM..... this is something i have never encountered in all my years..... I am assuming the carburetors have been cleaned correctly as I have never heard any bad things about Gordon's work ...
which leads me to installation... I must have hooked up the hoses wrong or something... but I have been through the hose diagrams so many times I am blue in the face ! they are hooked up right ! .... but if they were it would run right !.....
I have a California model and yes it has hoses and smog crap all over it
....... I can't find the problem !
so I am looking for help does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look to find the problem .... let's assume I screwed up putting it together..... because that is probably the case....

I think it is sucking too much air from somewhere causing it to be too lean off idle.... Looking at the hose chart in the appendix of the manual I saw there a vacuum line directly from the carburetor goes to a vacuum operated switch above the head mounted to the frame.... I think I will take that hose off and plug it and see if it runs better.... that is about all I can think of at the moment....if it runs better and takes throttle like it should that vacuum operated switch is likely bad.
at this stage I will entertain any suggestions no matter how outlandish ! HAHAHA

Bob......