View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:42 PM   #135
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Weird Dan !!!! it should at least Try to fire.... you have compression & fuel... so it HAS to be Electrical.
As I think I stated before I have a machine that will not fire if the battery is down even a little bit, it's a Honda 4 wd quad with the electric shift B.S.
its in new condition ... but I do not mess with it at all. it will crank over fine but the dash is a bit goofie and it won't shift... then I know it won't fire till I charge the battery....
... their may be a fault in the brain box on that thing Dan... as you said it drops to 11 volts when cranking and that may mean it stops sparking the plugs
... I remedied my problem with the quad by putting a car battery on the back rack.... and tried it.... and it cured the problem even with the shifting !
you might try that ...but I am not sure what that will do to the bikes electrics.
as some things are sensitive to amperage. I got away with it on the Quad
but I must caution you on doing it... I doubt it will hurt it, BUT IT COULD !
(if it fried the ecu you'd be looking at an expensive replacement part !)
I've used car batteries several times on bikes to get them up and running
and never had a problem. they have much more reserve amperage and provide more cranking power. I jumped my XS650 several times as the battery would not hold a charge so I just jumped it from the car battery
never hurt a thing.... and it shouldn't, as long as you get the positive to the positive and negative to negative !!!!
.... use your own judgment !
Bob.......