View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Thanks guys!
Chris, you are correct that the changes I am making will decrease the bike's accelleration capability. I define " adequate accelleration "as still being quicker than most cars. That is the point at which I'll stop gearing up.

The only downside to the aero mods is the change in appearance and increased sensitivity to sidewinds. The upside is greater fuel efficieny , comfort, weather protection, carrying capacity, and top speed capability.

When I was a young man ( I'm 60) I was into going fast all the time. After a few slide outs and traffic tickets I started to understand that there are seroius consequences to breaking traffic laws and the laws of physics. I tried racing briefly but lacked the money and commitment to pursue it fully. The racetrack is the place is enjoy speed and ride at your limits safely. Over time, I learned to enjoy motorcycling without pushing it all the time. I still am a competitive and inquistive person and found the challenges I was seeking in hypermiling. I am now very interested in getting more people taking action to improve their fuel economy.
Floyd, I don't think Alan is a member here. He is one of the premier motorcycle hypermilers in the world and besides becoming a great friend to me, is a very knowledgeable, a great fabricator and generous in sharing his knowledge. He doesn't post much as he usually too busy working on his projects. For information on his current work check out the Vetter website ( www.craigvetter.com ) in the Streamlining the Ninja chapters. I plan to write an article about him and his accomplishments and I will post a copy here.
I'll also be happy to write an article on motorcycle hypermiling and post it here for those that are interested.
all the best GA ( Vic)
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote