Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
.........Conditions were light drizzle,30s and dark.

I exited the highway and was approaching a green light going 50 in a 45.
Car opposite me wanted to turn left across intersection. I had an eye on him and had slowed but it looked like he was going to let me through before turning. Last minute he went, which was fine as my hands are always covering the brakes and i slowed as he squeeked through. Problem is a 16 year old was tailing him through the turn and didnt see me. I was riding on the far left(of lane) and had turned my brights on for the first car. 16 year old tbones me or he hit me with front right of car.
Very sorry to read this, Jonathan

The kid made a bad situation much worse by not stopping to see before crossing your path.

Not that I could have evade those two, but this is what I would have done different:

1) Due to reduced capability to stop on a dime, to slowdown way under the posted speed limit for the cold, slippery conditions.

2) #1 would have placed me on the right lane, which is the best scenario to avoid a left turner (and to be seen and evaluated, .........if they bother to).

3) To see what and how was following me way before arriving to that intersection (each place that allows a car to cross your path should be considered an intersection, which is where most accidents happen) / To start braking/signaling with enough time for the follower to understand that I am slowing down / To change lanes if could improve a tail-gating situation.

4) To keep the low beam, because the high beam makes more difficult for the left turner to judge your speed and position, even more in dark conditions / To wave within my lane to break the blending effect.

5) To reduce speed down to the magic one as approaching the point of possible impact:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80343

As stated above, this is the worse situation for us to avoid; we can only try.
Sincerely hope that your injuries heal soon.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote