Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Thanks! I've definitely noticed you around here

I had gone ahead and purchased the download of "Learning to Ride the Easy Way" in the Ride Like A Pro series....not worth it. The camera angles aren't great, it moves really fast, and assumes you have a huge parking lot to play with. For all of the hype around it, I would have thought there would have been more of a step by step on things. I won't buy more from the series. I did, however, pick up Proficient Motorcycling off of Google Play. That one I'm really enjoying the way I did Total Control.

As for questions, I have been really thinking about the whole counter steering thing the last few days. My mesh jacket came in and I plan on riding this Sunday morning off of my street for the first time. I've heard people say anything over 10mph and others say over 25 to 35 mph. That's a big difference. That and turns, like when to initiate the turn, how fast to go (I've noticed I usually am going around 15 mph in my car around these turns). Proficient Motorcycling helping with info on this, like counter steering to initiate lean then direct steering adjustments, I've noticed how he recommends what Lee Parks talked about, using the same hand to do both so your hands aren't fighting each other. It's just a lot of info to process and never having done it before, I'm all like "agghhhh!!!!" lol.
Go to a parking lot and get the bike into second gear, roughly 20-25 mph and practice steering back and fourth as if you are doing a series of s-turns. As people have said here, press right to go right and left to go left, it's really quite simple. Keep practicing until it comes naturally and experiment with things like having your arms straight vs bent and pushing forward on the bars and see what you notice.

Also, what should you be doing with your body when the bike begins leaning to the right for example?

Happy learning!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote