View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2021, 12:58 PM   #220
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok here's a bit of info... the rebuild kit for the rear caliper is supposed to arrive today... yesterday I took the rear caliper apart only to find I could not get the pistons out.... so I cleaned it up a bit with the wire brush and got all the dirt off of it and re assembled it.
I came back inside and watched as many videos on how to rebuild a caliper on a motorcycle on youtube and discovered that is a common problem and most guys use compressed air to pop the pistons out.... I have a compressor and could do that fairly easy I think.... HOWEVER.... if there is nothing wrong with it WHY do it ? leave the thing alone ! if in the future it leaks then by all means rebuild the thing... but it is likely to last 100k miles in it's current state, or could last 1 mile it's impossible to say if I am looking for reasurance rebuilding it is not the answer..... because you don't know if the new seals are any better than the old seals.... it works leave the thing alone !!!!
..... I rebuilt a 1968 Dodge truck master cylinder 2 times it was leaking and sucking air so I pulled it off and rebuilt it... I bought the cheapest rebuild kit I could find and it lasted about a week and started leaking again...
( there was no scoring in the master cylinder at all ! )
this time I went to Napa auto parts and bought a quality (expensive ) rebuild kit and rebuilt it yet again ... put it in there and blead the system and as far as I know it's still working fine....
so that's the delima... how do I know that rebuilding the caliper is the smart thing to do at this point? it supposedly works fine now.... why tempt fate?
... I am just going to re install the caliper bleed the system and see if there are any leaks if the caliper leaks then I will rebuild it ... if it doesn't and I can get it to work real good I will just use it the way it is.....
... don't get me wrong, I believe in preventive maintenance, but this falls into the category of just replacing it because you can , not because there is a need.... so I am going to leave it alone .
so the next step is re install everything and bleed the system and get it working....
I picked up a small 1500watt shop heater for the shop to replace my ageing
heater of the same type ( so I actually have spare parts !) at walmart yesterday.... and yes it warms the shop alot better !!!!!
so today is re assemble the bike ! I am tired of playing with it !
Bob..........