View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2021, 03:04 PM   #224
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'd take it apart and rebuild it because it could easily have gotten moisture in it, and the piston and/or the bore could be corroding. There could also be crystallized glop in there that will clog the line at some point. Also, if the piston(s) don't move freely, you could get that caliper dragging and overheating. And even if all else is OK, old rubber could start to leak at any time.
Hay Jim ! you nailed the major concern I have on this thing.....
but I have the unit on there now and it seams to be trying to work.... but I must still have air in the system as the peddle is not firm it goes to the downward stop every time.... ( only a 2" travel by the way)
.....this dot 5 brake fluid is purple ! strange !!!
i pumped it and got out all the air but the peddle is not firm so I assume that I don't have all the air out even though no more air is bleeding out... so it looks like I have to try a few tricks that I saw on youtube and that means taking the axle part way out to let the caliper swing up... the idea is to get the caliper higher than the Master cylinder so the air bubbles will dislodge and flow out. ....I'll try that and see.
..... I may well regret not rebuilding it while I had it out... and I expect I probably will... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
.... getting all the air out of it is the hard part now !
the new master cylinder seams to be working great by the way... I pumped it slowly and it took at least 3 maybe 4 reservoirs full to fill that system.
.... I had to take a break and give it a rest for a while as my knees were killing me ! lack of room makes working on it low like that a real P.I.T.A. !
the Tire on the back of this bike is obviously as wide as you can fit in there
which isn't really all that great as there were rubbing marks on the master cylinder holder where it was run for a while out of alignment. with it properly aligned it's got about 1/4" clearance is all... there are NO Marks on the adjustment places on the rear swingarm by the axle.... I thought all bikes had them but this one don't ! so it makes adjustment a bit more tricky....
but if I adjust it to where the tire clears the MC by 1/4" i am spot on... LOL...
later !
Bob........