View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2021, 04:50 PM   #233
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Boy putting that Triumph back together was a real job.... you wouldn't think it would be that hard but everything fought me ! after I got the exhaust pipes back on it and cinched down I went to the air box I had off on the right side...
I got the idea of fixing the bolt that spins now when your trying to take the air box off, by cutting deeper threads in the bolt and put a nut on it instead of the spring clip that they had.... using my new tap and die set was a real pleasure
I have to admit...it's a Klutch set that set me back about 100 bucks but so far it is working great, reviews say the ratcheting die holder gives out but I haven't had any problems at all with it.
anyway I put that bolt in there and put the nut I had to re cut the threads into to match it.... and then tightened it down and now it doesn't turn !
however doing that meant I had to enlarge the hole in the air filter metal plate
to go over the nut... so the filter would sit flush... once I did that it was ready to go on.... there is NOTHING to hold the air filter in place as your trying to get the cover on and it wants to fall off and out of there after about an hour of fussing with it I got it close and went and got the bent nose needle nose plyers grabbed the filter and pulled up slightly and click it went in and the cover was finally flush ! ....
so it's all together but the gas tank and I'll go back out there in a bit and put it on and take it off the floor jack !
then fire it up ! the rear brake worked great on the first stab after sitting all night so it's good to go !
Bob.......