View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2021, 03:38 PM   #18
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Nice, I will probably be able to fix a little bit of this front-end frailty with some oil. @Topaz How are those new springs treating you? Good rate?
I'm happy with them. I installed Sonic springs.

Sonic springs are supposed to be a bit cheaper than Race Tech ($120 shipped vs $150 shipped). But someone on the N300 forum had found a deal and got the Race Tech springs for $110 shipped. I guess he found that on eBay, new stuff, not used. So check ebay before buying directly from Race Tech.

I put about 300 mls with the new springs, half street half track.

It feels very nice compared to stocks. Much more solid and got a better feeling on the front brake. I tried several hard brakes on the street and I was able to modulate more the braking to the point of making the front tire screech (my bike is non ABS and I have a CBR600 Nissin front caliper)

At the track it feels more precise entering the turn. With the softer springs and lighter oil it would move more. It gives me more confidence.

The .8 kg/mm springs give me 10mm of static sag and 10mm more when I get on the bike. After the hard braking I tried, the zip ties on the forks showed me 90mm of total travel, so it's leaving me 30mm of unused fork travel. There's no way I'll bottom out these springs. Maybe .75 km/mm would have been better. I weight 155lbs without gear.
Also, I may have left too much preload, as I'm only getting 20mm (actually a bit less) when I sit on the bike. I may pull the spacers out and cut them out a bit more.
And very probably install the valve emulators or initiminators as @InvisiBill suggested to me.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote