View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2022, 02:49 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Mono shock spring replacement???

Hi All....
I have a problem with my new bike ..... it rides too hard.... i mean really HARD
after 30 minutes i feel beat to death....and that's on the street I haven't had the guts to take it off road being that rough riding
...the thing is I can leap way up and land with all my weight on the seat and there is no give at all..... NONE....
but I have hit a big chuck hole and it did move that I know for sure....
I weigh 185lbs and I think the bike is sprung for a 300 pounder !
so I was thinking of trying to replace the spring on the rear shock to see if I can make it softer riding....
problem is I have no idea what spring rate to get... 200lb. ? 500lb... i haven't a clue and I can't get any info on what that spring is rated at on the bike but it's gott'a be really hard !
the rear swing arm does indeed move freely i checked that.... it's the darn spring is super hard....
the bike weighs 450lbs ( slightly more than the Triumph 750.)
the front forks I have adjusted just about right now so when I go over a bump the front isn't so bad but the rear is like a kick in the pants even on small bumps..... i have 28psi. in front and rear for tire pressure
and that only helped a very small amount... most of the bumps around here are bigger than that
to be honnest I really don't know what to do ..but I gott'a do something !
this thing beats me to a pulp before I go 30 miles !
I suppose I could fill the saddle bags and top box with rocks to give it some weight but that is going the wrong direction if ya know what I mean ! LOL
I have the pre load all the way to the top of the adjustment so the bike sets as low as possible ...if I move the bike by dragging it's ass around the tire usually drops a good 4" but comes back when I straighten it upright...lol that's how loose it is !.... so it's not too much preload ! but that spring does not flex at all.... so I was thinking of replacing it with something lighter
....anyone have any suggestions ?
i'm thinking a 250lb spring but that may well be too light and I don't want to buy 4 or 5 springs just to find the right one for my weight !

I am guessing wildly but I think the back of the bike weighs 200lbs trying to lift it from the rear( which i can almost do but not quite !)
so to me a 250 to 275lb spring should do it I think....

.... Suggestions ?????
Bob......