View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:11 PM   #25
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

yah ! probably the plug itself ...some plug sockets have a rubber insert to cushion and hold the plug ...they have a tendency to hold a plug real good
and if the engine was Hot when you tried to take the plugs out it may have melted to the plug......( i doubt it but it could happen !)
i have a screwdriver that I heated the end with a propane torch to red hot and bent the end to 90 degrees and I use that thing on a bunch of things in the shop...its a handy tool for all sorts of things the longer the screw driver the better i've ground the end down over the years so I can use it to get in the o- ring groove's on things.... it's also a great seal puller it's a small phillips that the end was sharpened into an awl and then bent over.... very handy !
but you could find something in the tool box like that and make your hook out of that.... it needs to be about 3/16" diameter screwdriver shaft so it's strong enough...
more than likely the engine was warm when you got it stuck in there and it's cooled and shrunk some.... heat the head with a propane torch and see if it loosens up some ????? this is one of those mechanic things that is very discouraging that no one hears about ... something so simple as changing the plugs and it turns out to be a major project !
but don't feel bad it has happened to others to be sure !
..... I have enough tools and junk I am sure I could get it out quickly but when your running with minimum tooling that makes it 100 times harder !
....make a tool to retrieve the tool ! and you'll never have to use it again in your life time ! ....don't ask me how i know that....LOL
a long thin flat bladed screw driver should be able to be bent on the tip to make a decent hook to hook the socket another larger screwdriver in the hole at the same time to lock it in there and you should be able to get it out even if you have to put vice grips on it and pound it up and out of the hole !
use a torch to heat the screwdriver to cherry red before you try bending it or it will just snap off !
good luck
Bob...........