Thread: First ride out
View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2023, 03:44 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I remember riding 20 miles to work and 20 miles back in Hamelton Montana in - 7 degrees on a suzuki 100cc.... all my riding gear was not enough .
when I finally got home with 3" of snow on the ground I really had trouble getting off the bike... my bones didn't want to move if it wern't for the wife I may well have been found there in the spring ! that was by far the coldest I have ever been.... that was so far beyond hypothermia that I was actually having trouble keeping consciousness!..... tunnel vision and all that....
..... Now when it gets below 50 I stop riding ! LOL
I think because of all those cold rides in my younger days my tolerance for the cold has really fell.... it used to be no big deal but now it is severe pain !
incidentally; the tires on that Suzuki were dirt Knobbies and I could easily ride it in the snow if I'ed had street tread there would have been no way to go that far !.... I quickly learned cutting my own trail was far better than going in the ruts of cars.... as that was packed Ice.... no traction at all....
I was pealing logs for a log house company out in the yard with no shelter
with a simple draw knife.... we got 0.12cents a foot and it was the only work around so that is what I did..... but after that ride I quit I wasn't going to do that again !...
Bob.....