Thread: First ride out
View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2023, 03:09 PM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

From my observations the stock system on the Ninja is almost exactly the same as the Thermo-bob unit... I don't understand why you would recomend adding
an additional unit to the bike ?
I have not incountered any heating/cooling issues with My Ninja at all and I think the stock system works fine.... why change it ?
No doubt the Ninja is a cold blooded beast ...meaning it takes a long time to warm up.... and that may well be because of the outline of operation you gave above...having to get the hot coolant through the little weep hole to initially open the thermostat. I would think that if the slowness of the bike warming up bothers you, that increasing the size of the weep hole in the thermostat itself may well speed up the warming process.... as long as you didn't drill a great big hole so too much coolant could by pass the thermostat.... I would think that just doubling the size of the weep-hole in the thermostat would be all it would take to make the bike warm up faster..... In reality drilling a larger hole in the thermostat would in fact slow down the thermostat from actually actuating.... because of the greater volume of coolant circulating. but it would even out the tempiture
of the coolant in the system faster than the stock system allowing what would feel like the bike reaches operating tempiture faster.
the thermo-bob unit was designed to get the thermostat to react faster on the KLR 650 as it had a internal thermostat that took a long time to open up
and when it finally did it would shock the already hot engine and thus cause
issues that caused the cylinder to go out of round into an egg shape and that had drastic effects on compression and operation of the engine.
I don't thing there is an issue of the cylinders warping on the Ninja... but there is a problem with it getting warm in cold weather....I have noticed that myself, as I have ran my ninja at 40 degrees and it took almost 45 minutes of idling to warm up enough to take throttle without hesitation....
although that is probably due to carb issues and not the cooling system
it is proof to me that the Ninja is slow to warm up....
.... so perhaps a bigger weep-hole in the thermostat itself is all it would take to get the bike up to operating tempiture faster I don't know...
any thoughts on this guys ?
Bob.......