View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2023, 08:44 AM   #24
MrB64
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): R1,GT380,RGV 250,Ninja 250, Honda SS125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Humm that's a good idea but the thermostat housing is aluminum alloy...you can't weld steel to aluminum. it will just brake right off when it cools...
(believe me I've tried)
Maybe J.B.WELD ??? would do it, maybe.... you could weld on the lower radiator hose as it is steel...but on the thermostat housing you'll have to come up with another idea.... the radiator only holds about 2 P.S.I. but J.B.Weld has held alot more in the past for me.... (over 30p.s.i. on an oil line.) the problem is to make it where it has real good grip and can't just fall off as a chunk....
like a die grinder and groves in the aluminum and fitting then leave the J.B.Weld real thick on it. that stuff can be drilled and tapped so a big glob on the bottom drilled and tapped may do the trick but it would take several extra holes through the housing to give the J.B.Weld something to grab on to
clean shinie surfaces don't like J.B.Weld ! ....grind it !
perhaps you could find an aluminum fitting and tig weld it on the thermostat housing..... that is a possability.

You can always tell a bike that is being used daily by the dirt layers on it !
that my friend is a badge of honor....of course it never hurts to give it a good cleaning now and then ....LOL

Bob......
We use ally weld ons at work, aslong as the stat housing aren't made out of cheeseium it should hold.
Our fabricators at work will let me know how it welds.
MrB64 is offline   Reply With Quote