View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2023, 03:05 PM   #8572
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

A big P.I.T.A ! the carb boot is a bugger ! even with everything taken loose so the whole air cleaner can move back about 1/2" the boot itself is a bear !
Getting mine off was easy... loosen the clamps and have the air box loose and just move the air box back and their off... putting them back on is something else.....
I've struggled with mine off and on for a week now and have gotten nowhere
there is just no room to work in there... years ago I made a pick out of a bad small phillips screw driver that I sharpened to a fine point and then bent to 90 degrees on the end and then thinned it down with a grinder.... that is my boot tool... and it helps alot.... but I still can't get it all the way on the bottom
it's almost like it never has been on properly and has shrunk because it will not go on and stay there.
I think the stragity is take the air cleaner box loose and get the boot on and clamp it down with the clamps real good and then try to get the air cleaner box back into position afterword
although I have already done that they keep coming off on the bottom
... the Manifold boots are relitively easy, they stay on with no trouble
but the air cleaner side is a bitch ! WD-40 and alot of pressure forward
will get then on.... but keeping them on is another story.
if you don't lube the boots and the carbs the boots will not go on... but if you do they slip off afterword..... I am stumped on how to go about this fix !
Bob.......