Thread: First ride out
View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2023, 10:12 AM   #32
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ages ago we had a car (ford falcon) that developed a heating problem
so I could not find any problems with the cooling system so I mentioned it to a parts guy and he said yah I have one right here but there is a simple way to test them... just drop them in a pan of boiling water and see if it opens up like it should.... so I bought the new thermostat and replaced the one that was in the car.... then I got to wondering if the thermostat I took out was OK or not.... so I tossed it in a pan of boiling water and it started opening but only opened about half way..... so I figured it was toast and tossed it into the trash....
on the next trip to town there was no heating problems at all....
I thought it was Odd that a bimetal spring could brake down like that... but it wasn't the spring at fault it was the silly small piston thing in the center that was frozen.... it wouldn't move at all.... ( curiosity got the best of me and I dug it back out of the trash and tore it apart to find out why it quit working)
.... I have no idea why they put that little piston thing in the thermostats or what it is for... but I figure they have to make it brake-able some how or they would never sell them ! HAHAHAH !
Bob........