View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2023, 08:22 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok today I made some progress !
I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet completely clogged....
everything else in the carb looked very good so I spreyed it good with carb cleaner followed by WD-40 and put it back together....
I then started putting the carb back in the bike and started having problems
figuring out which vacuum line goes where...so I came inside and looked it up
but still wasn't sure my manual seams to be a bit different than the bike.
so I want to take the smog crap off the bike anyway so I said F#@& IT and just ripped it all off of there ! LOL.... so I am doing the DE-Smog modification
that I've watched about a dozen times on youtube....
I left the exhaust port tubes connected for the moment as I was going to make some plates to cover them but I found them for $6.00 so I thought I can't make them for that....so I bought them and their on the way already.
I put on the foot pegs the other day in the drizzling rain, and today I put on the hand guards. although I am not real happy with them as they don't tighten up in side the handle bars ! I guess I'll fix them later !
My front tire innertube got here today so tomorrow will likely be replacing the innertube in the front wheel..... and the lowering kit.....( I'll give it a try although I don't hold out much hope for it as it's only a 2" drop and I need a 4" drop but we'll see how that goes .
after I did all that I fired it up and it ran and idled great it's a bit slow on acceleration so I expect I have a vacuum line that's not plugged in or something like that....
the Idle air screw is shirred off flush with the top of the carb face .... it's going to be a bitch to get out.... so I went ahead and bought a longer one with a thumb screw thing on the end so I can turn it with my fingers to replace it with... I'll have to pull the carb off again to get it off but I wanted to hear it run ....and I wasn't disappointed it ran great !
the very slight sogg upon throttle up is likely due to the air screw being set too lean.... there is supposed to be a big tab on the end of the screw but it is broken off....so now it can't be adjusted at all.....
here's 2 pics that I took today of it !Sigh.... I remembered to hold the camara sideways this time but now their upside down.... I can't win !
in the first picture you can still see the exhaust pipes coming up by the cylinder that went to the smog pump....
when it is running each tube makes a puff of exhaust each time on exhaust stroke ... kind'a funny it's not loud enough to hear like this but if I blip the throttle I get smoke coming up from the left side front of the bike !
to me the bike looks alot cleaner without all that smog crap on it..... plus now I have an area for a oil cooler !
and I thought of it afterword ...I should'a put on a in line gas filter while I had it all apart !

Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XR650L almost ready01.jpg (179.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg XR650L almost ready02.jpg (168.9 KB, 2 views)