View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2023, 02:53 PM   #23
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL ! I put on a 2" lowering link.... and I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet..... that's it ! it sux to be SHORT !..... but I may leave it like that I dunno yet.
I also put the new tube in the front tire so I can actually ride it now....but sense the exhaust block-off plates haven't arrived here yet I will probably wait a while
as I dislike the idea of sucking cold air onto a hot valve...that is asking for trouble ! soon as I get them on there I'll take it for a spin.... that front tire is really thin....bald more like and i need to replace both tires really soon
I haven't lowered the front forks yet to match the lowering of the rear yet ...simply because when I do I have to cut down the side stand as it is almost perfectly vertical right now on the side stand...that will definitely push it over when I do that.
and I discovered my turn signals don't work.... dunno what's up with that yet. probably the relay as usual !
And I discovered that the rear brake caliper is not in it's slot like it should be
and I forgot about it and buttoned it all down again....
the Triumphs brake was like that.... and this one too it's like is every bike owner incompetent or what ? something as important as the rear brake
should be inspected every once in a while at least !!!! you know it's been like that for Decades..... and that's a bad thing... if you hit the rear brake hard enough it can rotate the caliper bracket and rip out the brake line...
I don't think it would go that far before hitting the caliper against the swing arm but it will make a nasty Clank when it does it !
.... I know because when I first got the Triumph I took it for a quick ride and when I hit the rear brake there was this loud clunk and the bike started tracking a bit sideways.... I went back home real quickly !
.... I had alot to do on that bike to make it road worthy again !
....I am liking the working on the XR650L because of the simplicity and ROOM to work on it.... but I am finding some really silly things Honda has done .... like the bolts that hold on the lower link have to be put in in opposite directions because you can't get to them if you don't !
Bob.......