View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:33 PM   #43
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
So here's the thing. What tends to happen with your vision when you approach a slower rider? Where does your attention go? It goes to the rider right? And then you end up braking and losing momentum.

What if you could train your eyes to NOT to look at the rider in front directly but to see the space available around them? Do you think the timing issue would get better and that you wouldn't end up having to brake?

I very much agree with the statement about planning ahead and leaving a space but I still want to discuss what usually happens with the eyes when riders come up for a pass.....
Ideally, I'm looking where I want to go as if I had clear track.

Half the time in the real world though, I'm telling myself to do that and then:
1) I mentally debate if I'll get "there" in time
2) I unintentionally allow myself to take a peek at the other rider
3) I mentally debate if I'll get "there" in time X2
4) ???
5) I do not profit.

Staying focused on my line works best for me when I'm with other 300s. Gauging the potential speed differential for different bikes, especially when I'm unsure of how much the other rider will or won't roll on the throttle, is still a huge work in progress for me.

Haha. Working on it. Working on it.

In turn-in area news, I'm playing a new game with speed bumps in the parking lot at work. The speed bumps have a 2-3 feet flat channel in the middle. I'm playing with looking ahead as early as possible once I'm reasonably certain of hitting the flat section, and playing with different speeds.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote