View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

How to find the edge

Hello Everyone,
I have spent the last two seasons experiencing the joys of track riding! There have been many improvements and I have gotten better and lapped faster than ever before. I have studied and been able to apply what I have learned and even dragged my knee thru a few turns! There were some great people who have instructed and encouraged me on my journey but I have one reoccuring issue and I would like the combined wisdom of this forum to help me find the answer.

When I first got on the track I was following the slow in fast out mantra and it seemed to work great. Once I got a little bit comfortable carrying what I felt was good speed into turns, I learned that I was not getting on the throttle soon enough. This is the main part of my issue but I need to explain more. Once I learned to roll the throttle on (much earlier than before) and began to experience running thru the corners with the power on (the correct way) and the weight more on the back tire, I bagan to feel a little vagueness in the front tire (lack or less feel/feedback from the front tire) and the rear tire began to feel like it was slightly drifting or sliding slightly. The rear was not "lit up" and I was not agressively applying throttle. I do have to qualify my entry speed so you can understand what I am saying. I felt like I was hauling A** into the turns because I have not been on the track much and my idea of fast is "safe street fast" not "Track Fast"! I have been improving my body position and I did not have any "Moments" while riding but I was above my normal comfort level. Turning at these speeds felt great and I enjoyed myself but wanting to inprove and find the next level I want to know how to tell when you are approaching the limits of traction. This is a very broad question but as a newish track rider I have been pushing a little bit more and slowly adding speed. The biggest hurdle is the worry of accidently going past the limit. I know there are guys going thru the same turn on the same line as I am with lots more speed (I just moved out of the slowest group) so I know there is more grip available, I just dont know what the signals the bike is sending to me mean in relation to the limit.

I hope I have explained what I am looking for clearly. Since I dont know what to look for how will I know when I approach or find the limit? This is what goes thru my mind as I enter the turn! I know how fast I have safely entered the turn in the past and I have added a little (very little) more energy. I am just not sure what the bike is telling me as the speed increases.

Sorry for the long post but I have been thinking about this alot and I need direction and you guys know better tan me!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote