View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #61
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
This is a very difficult question and a good one! I'm sorry that I didn't see this post earlier bit overall I think that the general advice that people are giving here is really good!

I just wanted to mention something that is in my article on the topic and that is:

".....there are some ways to improve your odds. The best way is to have a solid understanding of good riding skills.

Author of Twist of the Wrist II, Keith Code says that, “having good technical skills is the only sane route to mastering the bands of traction and reading their signs. In other words, without a firm grounding in basics, it’s easy for riders to misidentify what they think is a loss of traction when it isn’t or because of poor technique they may skip a band or two and get themselves into trouble."

He goes on to say that, “Sloppy throttle control gives a false sense of tire grip. Using lean angle in the wrong part of the turn for the wrong reasons gives a distorted feel for it. How the rider sits on the bike can have a huge effect on it. Confusing inputs into the handlebars is another classic way of misreading the signs your tires can give you. All of these [riding errors] will set you up to miss the signals completely.”

So basically, the more you arm yourself with knowledge about good solid riding technique and the more understanding you have, the better prepared and able you will be to notice and read the signals the bike is giving you about available traction.

Also in the article are a few suggestions of some things that you might FEEL that indicate you are at the edge of front end traction. You can read the rest here: http://www.motomom.ca/the-limit-expl...tire-traction/

Let me know if you have any further questions or more specific questions

Great topic!

Misti
Thank you so much Misti! I really appreciate everyones input. I wanted to say thank you to you along with ever one else who has answered my question(s) in this thread. I have discovered that I was actually aking the wrong question and I have had some great responses to point me in the right direction. I have purchased a new (refurbished) Ohlins shock set up for my weight and I will be ready to apply what I have learned on the track next season. I have a plan of attack for next season and there is no doubt in my mind that I will make more improvements next year than I did this year!

I am still hoping some experienced riders will give me their thoughts on this also. I am always willing to listen to what has helped others get faster and smoother. I can ride well enough to keep pace in the yellow group (one above the slowest) but the door to being fast is just cracked open now and there is so much more to learn and experience. Thank you all and don't be afraid to post your ideas, experiences and most important stories to help me and others learn!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote