View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #74
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I am bumping this thread since the wisdom I gained from the posts helped me go faster than I ever have and with less effort. You should read each post from first to last and ask what it means to you. I was scared rushing into turns and not understanding what the front tire was telling me. I talked to a few trusted individuals and really pondered the great info you all provided and figured out how it applied to what I was and Was not doing on the track. There are many links to great articles and some drills you can do to gain perspective on what to expect but nothing replaces actual experience!

#6 Traction: The title of this thread is "How to find the Edge" because I had no idea what my tires were telling me when I would enter a turn. When I enter a turn and add lean angle I feel/felt a different sensation thru the bars then when going straight and/or braking. You can feel the bike turning but there is also another feeling, kinda like the bike is slipping/sliding a little bit. This is what I did not know/understand. After this weekend (HERE IS WHERE I MAY NEED SOMEONE TO CLAIRIFY) I believe this is just a slight pushing where the tire is following your command to turn but also slipping a tiny bit fighting the momentum of the bike and making it turn. I think this is what people are reffering to when they say the bike is sliding when they are going too slow to actually be sliding. Once I managed to get my entry correct and began to increase pace (slowly) thru my chosen practice corner, I found this sensation does not get much worse even with considerably more speed. I believe it will begin to get more and more as you approach the limits of the tires traction. I was able to get to the point where I could push the bike much faster than I was going yet the slight sideways sliding feeling did not get much more intense.
Thanks for bumping up this thread and for taking the time to write your experiences! It's great to hear that you were able to take some of the advice that people had given and apply it for tangible results at the track! Wooohooooo!! :dance cool:

I just wanted to touch base on one aspect that you talk about above. You mention that you feel a sensation of the bike possibly pushing or sliding- the way you describe it, it sounds like something slightly different to me. When you turn the bike you press on the inside bar to initiate the turn, right? what do you do IMMEDIATELY after you press on the bar? How do you stop the bike from turning anymore?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.