View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #92
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Just another insight to what I learned and experienced with proper instruction at the Mid Ohio riding School. Now I am still a fairly new rider on the track and I am far from consistent every lap. When exiting the "Key Hole" turn onto the back straight a good drive would have me reaching the 700' marker for turn 7 (Chris wrote a beautiful thread about this turn) at 140MPH! The first time we went this fast on this section of track I would roll off the throttle after the 600' marker and begin braking at the 500' marker. We were instructed to move the braking point back a 1/2 bike length (when we felt ready) by waiting till we had just passed the marker rather then right at the marker. By the end of the second day I would roll off just before the 300' marker and this was still way earlier than the bike was capable of slowing! We did a "No Brakes" drill earlier in the day on the second day which showed us not only how to better set entry speed but also that the turns could be taken at much faster then we "believed"! Even when harder on the brakes then I had ever been in my entire riding experience, I was only using approx 1/2 the braking ability of the bike and always had more available if needed. I did not post this to encourage people to brake extremely late or push their limits of stopping but to simply point out how capable the brakes really are and let new riders know that, if done right, there is more braking ability in your bike than you likely realize! Strong braking skills are just as essential on the street as on the track and the only way to get and keep them is to practice! Between the "no Brakes" drill and braking for turn 7, I feel this is where I improved the most during the 2 days at the track. It just feels so good when you brake from high speed, properly reaching your entry speed without over braking, and smoothly make your turn!

Last futzed with by Ducati999; June 19th, 2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: needed to add more info
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.