View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:29 PM   #94
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I found myself in an odd position at Mid-O. With my goal being to be able to ride different bikes fast (and controlled) I was struggling a lot with finding the limits.

On my own bike I am very comfortable with how the bike reacts and know exactly what to expect through much trial and error. I found though that riding a bike that was substantially different (ninja 300 to yamaha r6) I was not able to achieve a similar level of corner speed and lean. With that said I was never trying to push beyond a 7/10ths pace as I was not comfortable enough to.

My issues were finding the edge with different degree of application, which was largely what I worked on. However I've seen people hop from bike to bike and very quickly get up to the same pace before, which is something I seem unable to do.

Basically what I'm asking here is advice for finding the edge on unfamiliar machinery. In particular I wasn't comfortable with adding lean while trailbraking (especially on andy's bike) and with the initial throttle roll on out which I became much more comfortable with over time. With better brakes and more power than I am accustomed to I found it unusually difficult to take corners fast because I was on a faster bike which feels backwards
Some people are going to feel comfortable pushing the envelop very quickly on a new bike while others like to take a little bit longer to find the edge, it depends on the person and their riding skills and ability. I ride a lot of different bikes and have experience hopping on different coach bikes and riding them the way that the full time coach has them set up, I also ride a lot of different mini race bikes and so I've had a chance to experience a vast array of bikes and set ups. That being said, the best thing to do is to start gradually and right back with the basics of good throttle control, good technique and slowly and steadily push a little harder each corner/lap.

I've also seen guys with lots of experience and confidence go out and huck new bikes away in the first few turns because they tried to go too fast too soon on an unfamiliar bike. So, follow your intuition and work up gradually, within your own comfort zone.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.