View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #113
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Sorry I didn't see this before. Too many steering corrections are a common issue for riders and there are several reasons why. It could be that your entry is wrong, you may be turning too early, apex too soon and have to make corrections near the exit of the turn in order to make it through safely.

It could be that you are not turning the bike fast enough. Even if you turn in the right spot, if you are lazy with your steering then you won't make it to the apex and will have to correct mid corner to get back on the line you intended.

It could be that your entry speed is too high for your comfort zone so you end up gripping the bars too tight which causes the bike to run wide and then you have to make steering corrections (I don't think this is YOUR issues based on how you explained above)

It could be that you aren't looking exactly where you want to go soon enough to be able to consistently make your mid corner reference point so you have to adjust.

Or it could be a throttle control error, getting on the gas too much to soon, adding lean angle and throttle at the same time, being on-the gas while trying to turn the bike etc....or any combination of the above.

Do me a favour and read through the possible options I just listed and see if any of those sound like they may be closer to the issues you are having and then lets talk through it. We will start by identifying the closest possible causes and then what to do to change/improve upon it.

@Misty,
I believe the quote below best describes my issue.

"It could be that you aren't looking exactly where you want to go soon enough to be able to consistently make your mid corner reference point so you have to adjust."

At the Palmer track there are 3 huge sweeping turns (2 left 1 Right) with blind apexes. This is where the issue is most obvious so we will just discuss them. Have you watched my "Crash Video" located in the "So this finally happened" Thread under "Ninjettes at Speed" thread? You can see what is happening first hand but the video does not show my body position.

When I enter one of these blind Apex turns I always hit the X marking the "Entry Point" on the track. I begin to follow my line but not being able to see the apex has me guessing where I will ultimately end up. I see now that I need more reference points mid turn! This is why in past threads and discussions I have mentioned feeling lost, asked how I know what arc the bike will follow thru the turn and other questions that now obviously point to lack of reference points. I have been riding on the road for more than 20 years now and there are no turns like these on the street. They are totally new territory for me and trying to figure out the best way to handle them at speed has been tough but with a simple answer. This is why the group of knowledgeable and patient people on this forum are pure gold!

I really feel I have a good grasp of my issue now and cant wait to get back out on the track and apply my new knowledge--So I can find the next obstacle! I am making a few minor changes to my bike setup to help prevent me from making the same mistakes from this last season. Should be a great season.

I would also like to say that this last season (2016) was the best time I have ever had riding a bike. I did very little street riding (will do more in 2017) but did plenty (never enough) of track days. The feeling of going faster than ever before and having more confidence in your equipment and abilities is the reason I ride in the first place, and looking back to see where you have improved and identifying what needs work next is what drives me back to the track!

Thanks again to @Misti, @csmith12, @adouglas, @Bigballsofpaint, @Motofool, @Sirref, @Yakaru, @SpeedCraft and anyone else that replied
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote