View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #151
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
My original plan was to hit Palmer as I know that track best, then try some other tracks once I had shaken the cobwebs from my head. Looks like that will not be the plan. My first track trip is shaping up to be NYST on Aug 5-6. Never been to this track but I am going to use this as an opportunity to learn a new track and apply what I have learned in an unfamiliar environment. Anyone can learn to do good lap times if they always ride the same track but I am going to test myself and see how I do on a new to me track. I will update once I know more.
We are rowing the same boat sir, let's help each other in the paddock in a couple of weeks. It is always fascinating to me how different riders approach a new circuit that they have not ridden.

@JacRyann, well done sir! It's awesome to read the success of other riders applying skill while lowering risk. Very rewarding aye? In racing, 5sec is FOREVER!!!!!

Now, I got the next challenge for you sir. You mentioned "coasting." If you have followed me here for any amount of time on this forum, you would know that I am not a big fan of just "coasting".... EVER. 99% of the time, the track is very black and white. You're either on the gas or on the brake. It should be very, very, very rare that you coast. You might just "pause" the throttle roll every now and then in chicanes and such if that is what you mean, but rarely coast. When I hear a rider use that word, it triggers me to challenge their skill in steering extremely quickly.

I will give you a clue to very, very, high skill levels of riding... coasting is a throttle control error. It tells you something can be done better or optimized in some way.

To start, I would ask you where your markers are for the corners you coast in, then adjust them so you could steer faster to make your intended line. 9 times out of 10, if you steer faster you get back to the throttle sooner, but.... it also might affect another marker which is very, very helpful for racing. Got any idea what it is?

Bonus question: If your skill in steering increases, what happens to your available line selections through a corner? Is it helpful in racing?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote