View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #154
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Now, I got the next challenge for you sir. You mentioned "coasting." If you have followed me here for any amount of time on this forum, you would know that I am not a big fan of just "coasting".... EVER. 99% of the time, the track is very black and white. You're either on the gas or on the brake. It should be very, very, very rare that you coast. You might just "pause" the throttle roll every now and then in chicanes and such if that is what you mean, but rarely coast. When I hear a rider use that word, it triggers me to challenge their skill in steering extremely quickly.

I will give you a clue to very, very, high skill levels of riding... coasting is a throttle control error. It tells you something can be done better or optimized in some way.

To start, I would ask you where your markers are for the corners you coast in, then adjust them so you could steer faster to make your intended line. 9 times out of 10, if you steer faster you get back to the throttle sooner, but.... it also might affect another marker which is very, very helpful for racing. Got any idea what it is?

Bonus question: If your skill in steering increases, what happens to your available line selections through a corner? Is it helpful in racing?
I didn't actually coast in any corners; only at end of braking. I improved my corner-speed by adjusting my apexes to be more symmetrical and centred. This higher cornering-speed meant I can entre at higher-speed. Then braking into that corner, I didn't have to brake as much.

However, by using my previous braking marker, slowing down less from same brake marker caused me to brake too early, I had plenty of time & distance left over. Thus I coasted for a bit in order to reach turn-in point at higher-speed than before. For next laps, I moved my brake-markers about 25-30ft deeper into several corners after increasing cornering speed.

Good News!!! I took another 3-seconds off my Thunderhill time this last weekend! I was fastest in B-group (aside from some instructors on big bikes). One of them came up next to me on long straight and was reaching over to hit my kill-switch, so I kicked him off or else that would've ruined one of my fastest laps! hahhhahahahaha!!!!

Well, to answer your question, being able to steer decisively and quickly lets me select from any number of lines through a corner (or make corrections as needed). I was able to pass people on pretty much anywhere I wanted. Take wider line to pass them on outside while in corner. Set up late-apex to pass them up on inside at exit. Do an early apex and pass them on outside at exit. So much fun! Wish I had camera ready, I could've made one of those "Ninja 250 vs. Bigger Bikes at Thunderhill" videos like the Laguna Seca ones! Next time for sure.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.