View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM   #195
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Andrew AKA: @adouglas,
Thank you for the reply, as you ride with me the most I value your insight more than most others. You have seen me ride and know what I look like out there. Now as Samuel Jackson said "Please allow me to retort!"

I agree with you 100% on the flow and being smooth as the fastest was around the track. Before I crashed I was getting fairly (for me) smooth and I was really starting to "feel the flow" of the track. The bike and I were working together to get from apex to turn in point back to apex and all was well. Then I had my crash- both on the track and in life. Neither were all that bad but the Life thing left me with nearly 0 time over the last 2 seasons. Since August 2016 I have spent all of 3.96 days on my bike. That number includes all three track trips and the 3 or 4 rides I managed to sneak in when possible. Look at that number it represents less than 25 hours per year riding! I am actually surprised I did as well as I did this last trip since the last time I rode was back in May! I know you are not criticizing my riding I am just trying to make a point that I have not had any practice in the last 3 years now. Looking at my tires and the fact that I still maintain a solid mid yellow group pace shows I am still doing somethings right but could use lots of improvement. Again I don't take your reply post as an attack and lease don't hesitate to give me your insight and guidance I am just setting the level of expectation for the next paragraph.

Ok now onto your specific points. The reason I took so long to reply to your post was so I could really think about what you stated. I will do my best to address everything I can.

#1 You said I was describing "charging turns": I don't feel like I charge turns at all at this point. Before I crashed, when I was riding all the time, I was and it was part of the issue that lead to my crash. My post above is describing just the opposite (at least that was my intention) as I am not using enough throttle, never getting to "full throttle", keeping the brakes on too long and rolling on late and too softly. Basically I have been a pig pu55y with the power! I am not afraid of the bike nor afraid to crash, I just don't have the confidence or conditioning (mental and physical) to run at quick pace. Lack of riding time means I need a few laps to get smooth shifting again and my mind/muscle memory back online. This is why I vowed to do so much more riding next season.

#2Your rhetorical question: "Why is how fast or slow I roll on important to me?" I don't accelerate out of the turns enough which puts me at my chosen brake marker too slow so I brake less hard and have to adjust my turn in point to compensate for the slower speed. Then I don't roll on as soon nor as hard as I should.....rinse repeat. I think you realize what I am saying. Maybe because I am at Palmer and have brake and turn markers from when my pace was better that I am experiencing this, if I was at a new to me track, I might not feel the same. With the proper roll on and exit acceleration, I should carry more speed to the next brake marker and the pace would be faster and smoother. Maybe I am not looking at this from the proper perspective but this is what I see from on the bike.

#3Your question : "is it faster to rail the turns or flow at a speed where you are confident". My issue is that I am below the speed I am confident. I am not worried about not making the turns. I did have the moment above where I rolled harder and did not adjust my lines (I said the track got narrow) but most laps I know I could/should be going faster. Rolling on earlier is more the issue than harder but more acceleration is needed everywhere on the track except pre apex.

#4 I don't feel the need to go WFO throttle and that's not my point but I should be getting there at times around the track. I am not trying to get there and going too fast causing my problem it the opposite where I am never getting to full throttle even down the long straight. Once I pass the cone on the wall coming down the hill the bike is upright enough that I should be rolling to WFO by the time I get to the 100 ft marker heading onto the straight.

The final thing I will add is that: You said "Remember to sneak up on fast" well I feel I am going too slow and fast is going to lap me soon!

Please read this and respond as I do respect and value your opinion.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote