Old March 24th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #47
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Good job having the crank polished.
Eric I must apologise, you are correct. The factory balance is 50%.

After researching this balance stuff for 3 weeks,a few books later, I am still confused.

Now, balance factor has nothing to do with the weight of the counterweights. You can take the weight of them and still balance it to the same balance factor. Don't ask, I'm just as confused. This is something you leave to the experts. Problem is, finding a 'expert' can be tricky as I found a few knob heads along the way who didn't know s*** and couldn't balance a tire if their life depended on it.

Lucky for me I have hit the jackpot. I found Adrian from High Tech Dynamics who does balancing for a few Australian Superbike Teams.

He wont tell me what balance factor he is going to use but says it will be smoother than before.

He says I can knife edge the small side of the counterweight no problem, he can just take weight out of the other side to even things up. I can knife edge the big side but it would require mallory. Which aint cheap. He has a callies crank for an r1 there atm which is going to cost 1100 for 4 big ass slugs of mallory because it was knife edge a lot.

He drew me a few guide lines. This how much is being taken off. A 45 degree angle will be put on the edge also. I found a mobile crankshaft grinder, he picking it up in the morning. Turns out my crank will be lighten to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130325_122209.jpg (113.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130325_122156.jpg (83.3 KB, 11 views)
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote