View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #99
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
With experience and maturity, comes the realization that the only thing that can keep you safe is your own awareness, skills, and ever attentiveness while on the road.
I think that is a naive statement. You can have thousands of hours under your belt and be the most defensive rider alive. But someone or something can still take you out at any moment. There are factors outside of your power that can and will affect you regardless of how defensive, aware, and skilled you are. And that is why, as motorcyclists, we do all kinds of things to be noticed. By noticed, I mean to be seen in a safety-oriented way, not to show-off. We wear bright colors. We add reflectors and reflective tape. We change our lights so that they are brighter. And yes, some of us change pipes to be heard. We do all of these things to tell people that "We are here."

Do loud pipes save lives? After riding with my loud a$$ pipe through the neighborhood a few times , I realized this was a trick question. So, I will recant my earlier statement. The answer is no. But, neither does defensive driving, gear, or a helmet. I know I am being literal here (I work on computers, ones and zeros all day long, what do you expect!!!). These things can only help to prevent a tragedy or lessen the damage caused in one. If you are about to die, then your life needs saving. And only a doctor or another person can do that.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote