View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #112
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Name: Rusty

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250, 96 VFR750, 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxr123 View Post
I have been a lurker on this forum for a LONG time and have always enjoyed soaking up the endless wealth of knowledge that is Ninjette.org. But, i have come across an issue that needs addressing before i continue with my project and decided it was time to register.

Here's the deal:

I have a 2012 ninja motor with only 5,000 miles on it, has a huge hole in the right-side case. Known-good, though. My 97 motor (roughly 18,000 miles) has a top-end noise that i have tried remedy with a cam chain cleaning and valve adjustment but to no avail.

My question is this: If they interchange, would it be easier to swap the head from the 2012 motor to the 97 motor or should i just split and swap the cases to the 2012 motor and run with that? This is also, of course, in inquiry as to whether or not either of these tasks is possible, as i have swapped complete pre-gen motors into J models and vice versa(just requires the chopping of the stator plugs and a quick soldering) but am unsure of the interchangeability of the cases or head,top end,etc.

they look the same, but looks can turn out to be deceiving once you get on the inside.

thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Personally I think it would be easier to swap the top ends I know alot of the internal components are interchangeable pistons piston rings (ok well that is really all that I know but I would think that you could just swap the cam shafts and maybe the timing chain and be done. I haven't dug that deep into my engine yet so all speculation.

Rustitution is offline   Reply With Quote