View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #415
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Your bike will run best on what the manufacturer says it should be run on. Compression ratio and the presense / non-presense of forced induction are the dictators of how much octane an engine needs. An overdose of octane will do nothing to aid starting or warming up. It's primary job is to inhibit pre-detonation. If you're not experiencing spark knock while climbing a hill on a hot day, you're running the correct fuel.

On the other hand, overuse of octane likely won't hurt anything besides your wallet. It seems to make some people feel better because they think they're giving their bike 'the best', so I suppose there's no price you can put on peace of mind. I prefer to seek out sources of fuel that has a reputation for cleanliness & consistency. If the retailer doesn't appear on the list of Top Tier providers, I don't buy gas from them.
Just look at how service stations have labeled the pumps. Low-Grade, Mid-Grade, Premium.

Without knowing anything about gasoline which one would you pick just going off the label. Premium of course.

The fact is most people think premium is a higher quality of fuel when in acutality all the fuel at the service station is of the same quality.

Some service stations will also only have two fuel tanks; 87 octane and 91, but sell 89.

How do they do that? By mixing the 91 and 87 50/50, to get to the correct octang level and perfectly acceptable. The refiner would do that if it was easier.

It's a sham, but they're making money off of people's gullibility. That's the new american way.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote